By Jacques Barzun
Read Online or Download A Stroll With William James PDF
Best history & surveys books
During this e-book, Bryan W. Van Norden examines early Confucianism as a kind of advantage ethics and Mohism, an anti-Confucian circulate, as a model of consequentialism. The philosophical method is analytic, in that the emphasis is on transparent exegesis of the texts and a severe exam of the philosophical arguments proposed through both sides.
The Empiricists characterize the vital culture in British philosophy in addition to the most vital and influential thinkers in human historical past. Their rules prepared the ground for contemporary proposal from politics to technological know-how, ethics to faith. The British Empiricists is a superbly transparent and concise creation to the lives, careers and perspectives of Hobbes, Locke, Berkeley, Hume, Mill, Russell, and Ayer.
T. S. Eliot's paintings as poet and as critic should be visible as a prolonged exploration of his engagement with the paintings of the thinker F. H. Bradley. The dissertation which Eliot accomplished in 1916 is the repository of his philosophical investigations as much as that point and the resource of lots of his next rules.
As Francis Bacon positioned it at the frontispiece of his Novum Organum, grafting an apocalyptic imaginative and prescient on a examine software, multi pertransibunt et multiplex erit scientia. the advance of technology turns into gradually linked to the tip of earthly existence, a subject that will resound deeply in Western notion up till Goethe s Faust.
- Marx and Wittgenstein: Knowledge, Morality and Politics
- The Discourse of the Syncope: Logodaedalus (Meridian: Crossing Aesthetics)
- Medieval Thought (History of Western Philosophy)
- Asia, Europe, and the Emergence of Modern Science: Knowledge Crossing Boundaries
- Hegel and the History of Political Philosophy
Extra resources for A Stroll With William James
Moreover, as noted in the first part of this paper, Kant appears (in the Critique ofPure Reason anyway) to consider it a task of transcendental philosophy to demonstrate in clearly specifiable ways how the categories are universal and necessary conditions of any possible experience. There is no place for stupidity (Dummheit) in the application of transcendentallogic. 29 There is another possible line of defense. Kant may be understood as invoking the separability of "knowing that" and "knowing how" for the reader in the ordo exhibitendi et discendi, while denying that separability absolutely.
26. , the question of whether I can know with or without knowing how I know, can be misleading. To avoid any misunderstanding, it should be stressed here that the knowledge of how the categories apply-let us call it "schematic knowledge"-need not be, any more than knowledge that the categories apply (categorical knowledge), the sort of knowledge of which the ordinary, empirical knower is aware or conscious. Still, there is necessarily a transcendental knower, to whom the knowing in each sense, categorical and schematic, is to be attributed.
Kant's Briefwechsel, vol. II, 145. Jacobi and Kant 45 import ofJacobi's ongoing struggle with the critical philosophy for the idealistic turn taken by Kant's successors in the ensuing decades are issues that form the horizon, but not the immediate object of the following investigation. Instead, the following study confines itself to the first round ofJacobi's and Kant's critical engagement with one another between 1785 and 1787. ; and third,jacobi's ensuing critique of the critical philosophy in the dialogue ldealismus und Realismus.